Manchester 8th July 2024

When it became obvious that we might enjoy a day of hot weather, I decided to splash out on a ticket into Manchester. Times have been a bit tough lately (hence my limited travel, very few coffees, and budget lens choice) but I needed a day of wandering the streets. The result is mixed, as is typical. I like the somewhat leaf-blower shot (well, it amuses me) and there are few shots where I took my time. 




You have to make your own luck with street photography and that was my ambition. I walked about 15 miles, which is more than I’ve done in a while, but I covered a few parts of the city I hadn’t visited before, especially down towards the canal (clearly I can’t escape canals but there were no kingfishers). I set out with the determination to make my time more than I usually do, and that ambition lasted for most of the morning. 


This was my first time in the city with the old 28mm lens, and I'm impressed with the results. None of them are super sharp but the ability to change my focus simply by dialling in the focussing ring felt like it worked. It will take more experience/practice but I feel like I had more shots more-or-less in focus than I would even with an autofocus lens. Again, I'm not looking for perfection. I'm looking for unusual instances of light, different moods, and quirky angles on life.



As for the colour shots: I shoot in black and white (a very high contrast black and white) but RAW files retain the colour for later editing. I might rever to colour when the colour adds something. Again, pleased with the lens but only in my vague journeyman approach. I'm no expert but I know what I like. I've also taken a few more formal shots of buildings, which I sometimes like depending on the context. I'd like to study how to shoot buildings. I suppose I should be using one of those tilt-shift lenses used in architectural photography but I really doubt I'd find one of those in Cash Converters.  


As the day drew on, I probably sped up a bit too much and fell into bad habits. I think it’s the sense of knowing that I won’t get another chance to be in the city for a while. I wish I could do a book of Manchester photos but I doubt they’re good enough. I know what I like and it doesn’t often intersect with what others seem to like. But who knows. Maybe I’ll get more chances in the coming months if times become less tough.

Anyway, lots of photos. Too many to talk about today. I might write more about them in the coming days. Rain forecast for the next week.  

Comments

Popular Posts